Hi everyone! So, last week I missed a deadline to register for an event I really wanted to go to*sad face*. At first, I blamed it on my friend who I was going with for taking too long to decide if she wanted to come. But, I realized that I only had one person to blame and it was me. I was so busy doing “stuff”, that I completely forgot to register! And that’s when I knew I needed to be more productive with things that actually mattered, rather than scroll through Instagram. Here’s what you can do to get productive (not busy).
- Write it down!! So often, we think we’ve got it right and that we are inferior and we won’t ever forget. WRONG! Be on the safe side and jot it down so you won’t ever miss an important deadline.
- A key to productivity is knowing the most important things on your list is what needs to get done first no matter what. Make a list of everything that needs to get done. Then, highlight/underline the tasks that have to be completed today. Now you can clearly see what your top priorities are and what tasks can wait.
- Life happens, make room for it. Try to leave enough wiggle room for your tasks that in case you don’t get to them, you still have time to get to it later.
- Keep your to-do list simple. Once you make a master list of everything that needs to be done, it feels overwhelming. That’s counterproductive! Instead, if your list does turn out to be five pages long, eliminate anything that is really small and won’t contribute to your overall goal.
- Remember, one task at a time. It’s easy to get distracted, *ding* hold on I need to respond to this imporant text. Ok, done! As I was saying, distractions are everywhere! Don’t get caught up in multitasking. You will get it all done, because as long as you have your tasks at hand, nothing can stop you!
- Take quick breaks. Since we are all human and not Elastigirl from the Increadibles, (I wish!) it’s important to stop and smell the roses. Schedule in 5 to 10 minutes breaks to increase productivity.
- Check your environment. Is your environment set up so you can work diligently? Or is it a “organized mess” but you can’t find anything you need? Clean space equals a focused mind.
- Check in with yourself. Make sure you feel good about working and completing tasks. If you take a break and realize you aren’t feeling well, make changes to fix that. Feeling accomplished is the point of being productive! So, don’t overwhelm yourself and take it one step at a time. The Great Wall of China wasn’t built in a day after all.
Hopefully this was helpful to you guys! Truly try these tips out. It helps me immensely during the school year! Thanks for reading!