I love to find ways to improve myself and be a better person. We are the future of this world, so let’s make it bright. “If you want to make the world a better place, look at yourself and make a change.” -Michael Jackson
- Gratitude is the best attitude. There’s nothing in the world that makes you feel more humble than being thankful for what you’ve got. That’s why each day, I try to think about what I’m grateful for. Sometimes, if I’m having an especially bad day, I find that looking for the positive things, makes me feel so much better. And if you really think that nothing good happened to you today, than you are sooo wrong. Do you have a roof over your head, eat 2-3 meals a day and have loved ones? There’s the positive!
- Hydrate!! It’s easier than you think. Really! Take a water bottle everywhere, and constantly remind yourself to drink water. It’s been proven multiple times that water improves your overall health by a lot. Your body loses fluid and to replace lost fluids, you need water. According to WebMD.com, “water helps to maintain the balance of lost fluids.” Plus, drinking water also creates a barrier of protection on your skin, making your skin looking supple. Who doesn’t want that!
- Set Goals. I see you rolling your eyes at me already. Setting goals helps you see a clear picture of where you are at and where you want to be in the future. And while it may seem stressful to think about the future, it’s really not. That’s the point of goals. So you don’t get stressed out! It doesn’t have to be long and complicated. Something simple as, “Go to bed at 9 every night” is good too. Try to have a good amount of short term and long term goals. It’s even helpful to write down some steps you can take to eventually reach it! In order not to forget your goals, I like to write my goals on a paper in big letters and hang it above my desk or someplace you will see it everyday.
- Cut down on unnecessary calories. Set down that can of coke and listen up because it’s about to get real. Do you really need that extra sugar? Is not having your daily bag of flaming hot cheetos gonna kill ya? If you answered yes to any of those questions, you need help. Look, everything is good in moderation. But, having a can of soda everyday is harming you! Instead, drink flavored water and slowly transition to just water. Your body deserves better. Stop putting in gross junk and eat real food. Strive to eat 1 fruit and veggie a day to start. And don’t mindlessly eat. You will regret it!
- Sit down for 5 minutes a day and do nothing. In other words meditate! Seriously. At the end of the day, sit on your bed or wherever is comfortable to you. Cross your legs, close your eyes, relax all your muscles and sit. Let your thoughts come and go. Meditation helps to clear your mind and unstress from the day’s tasks.
- Don’t Compare. My mom told me this. She said if you want to be happy, then you have to stop doing this. You have to stop comparing yourself to other people. Because if you do that, you will always be unhappy with who you are and what you can do. ONLY YOU CAN BE BETTER THAN YOU. Instead of putting yourself down when you don’t do better than, say a friend, think “What can I do better next time?” That’s what you should focus on. Not thinking about how you are worse than others! Because that’s not true. You should compare to better yourself, not to one up someone.
- Give compliments. Compliments are a powerful weapon. How do you feel when someone comments on how nice your hair looks? Confident, right! Try to do the same for someone else, because you never know, it just might make their day! It’s a great icebreaker too. In fact, giving 3 compliments every day is a goal I have set for myself!
- Give your desk space a makeover. Ah the desk. Poor desk just sits lonely in the corner of the room. Devoid of any human presence. Until that one day when the human accidentally glances at “the desk”. Only it’s not really a desk anymore. So what should you do? CLEAN IT UP. When you have a clean workspace, you are more focused and likely to use your desk!
- Be Aware. What? Be aware? Confused? Let me explain. It’s kind of like being in the moment. Or appreciating the present. Life goes on and on and it will. But, it’s good to remind yourself to be aware of what’s going on. Slow down and enjoy what you are doing. Make the most of today!
- Take risks. Now I don’t mean “jump off a cliff and hope for the best” type of risks. Simple things that you normally would not let yourself do. So if something comes up in your mind that’s different than what you normally do, than instead of pushing it away, maybe actually do it! Step out of your comfort zone. Be fun! You only have one chance to live! #YOLO
10 ways to improve yourself! Not all of these lifestyle changes will come easy, but that’s the fun part. I hope you discover who you are!! Be the best version of yourself.
As always, stay Chic, Neat and Sweet!